Monday, May 30, 2005
More than once during the trip I ended up as a babysitter for Petri's one-year plus toddler, and believe me when I say that I'd got more than what I'd bargained for. Playing with and taking temporary care of little Enya grounded me in a sense of realism about fatherhood and its myriad responsibilities and perhaps most strikingly, to be on call for the baby twenty-four-seven. Despite the tiredness of directing full attention to her, it would be a lie to say that I didn't find her adorable, and that I will not miss her. In fact, I do, now. But well, a salute to all mothers out there! Respect, yo.
These ten days have been hugely introspective as well. Listening to accounts of the tsunami firsthand from the resort staff, hearing Julius and Rika recount their terrifying hit-and-run ordeal in KL last year, and even something as simple and seemingly irrelevant like sitting atop the sunkissed bow of a dhoni after a dive, imbibing salted sea breeze and shades of turquoise and azure beneath the prow.. all have heightened a prescient awareness of life's transcience. In many ways this trip has prompted a self-question: whether we all have given our lives a fighting chance to prove itself worthy of being. Which has made me want to be present in the now, to be acutely conscious of every moment as it passes. Every moment, every moment.. I think that is a good take-away for us all.
Damn I have a hell lot of accumulated DO duties coming up this month. Have to clear everything in time for dakorkor's wedding. Plus there's going to be practice and recording sessions with the band. Plus again my dear qiuqius need me to perform some miracles by end-June. Ouch. It will be a busybusybusy month. So help me.

