Saturday, November 06, 2004

So now that the elections are over, we see no major shift in power base in the States. Power still lies in the hands of the conservatives. Not that I have anything against them - they're good people all the same - but the fact that the US - the unilateral one - is becoming an increasingly religious, and more worryingly, closed and ignorant society that emanates protectionism and religio-politics, is a fact that cannot be ignored. I have no qualms about using religion as a way to heal and soothe societal wounds in the new epoch of uncertainties and fear, but to generously butter it over politics.. Is a dangerous liaison indeed. Ignorance is never bliss in today's world, and citizens of the US led by possibly an equally ignorant president risk being alienated by all major races alike simply because of their I-think-I-know-it-all gungho swashbuckling approach to global issues that really should require so much more sensitivity and moderating policies.
Think this rambling has gone far enough, and to think it's just one of the many arguments tussling in my head. Let us see if bush makes the best out of his 2nd term in the Oval Office.

Was just reading kerry's concessionary speech, and almost immediately it made a huge impact on me for most of all his graciousness in defeat and willingness to forge ahead. Some excerpts.

Earlier today, I spoke to President Bush, and I offered him and Laura our congratulations on their victory. We had a good conversation and we talked about the danger of division in our country and the need – the desperate need – for unity, for finding the common ground, coming together. Today, I hope that we can begin the healing. In America it is vital that every vote count, and that every vote be counted. But the outcome should be decided by voters, not a protracted legal process.

We worked hard, and we fought hard, and I wish that things had turned out a little differently. But in an American election, there are no losers, because whether or not our candidates are successful, the next morning we all wake up as Americans. And that -- that is the greatest privilege and the most remarkable good fortune that can come to us on earth.

With that gift also comes obligation. We are required now to work together for the good of our country. In the days ahead, we must find common cause. We must join in common effort without remorse or recrimination, without anger or rancor. America is in need of unity and longing for a larger measure of compassion.


I hope President Bush will advance those values in the coming years. I pledge to do my part to try to bridge the partisan divide. I know this is a difficult time for my supporters, but I ask them, all of you, to join me in doing that.

Oh the graciousness! Brownie points for you, my man! :)

--------
Shark Tale was a pretty neat suss-up of an animated film. Infectious grooves make it seem as though Dreamworks is moving towards animated musical extravaganzas like Moulin Rouge. And as all good Hollywood animations go, the producers couldn't resist throwing in the cliched moral theme; nevertheless the setting is new enough and parodies of other movies effective as usual. And the music just makes everything click. :)

-------
I am
decayingdisintegratingdegrading
and I am
afraid that I will lose it.
Downs don't last forever but when you're in them you are just engulfed by the hollowness and you shout but no voice materialises out of the black and you claw for your breath but it is so difficult so difficult.



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

a narc-ed mind
..narcosis..
..rapture..
..bliss..

Basic principles.
Groove with the claves.

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing items in a set called Latest. Make your own badge here.


. Political Comics
. EvolGen
. Deep Sea News
. Oceanic Dreams
. Behavioural Ecology Blog
. Annotated Budak
. The Other 95%
. Blogfish
. The Oyster's Garter
. Beyond Salmon
. Small Things Considered
. MercatorNet
. Corrinne May
. Addicted 2 Salsa
. The Unlikely Salsero
. Magna Gopal
. La Onda Tropical
. Pepanito
. Sun Of Latin Music
. iMambo.tv

. DF
. SF
. Grupolatin
. SalsaSingapore.sg
. Dance Chic
. Dance Unlimited
. Caliente
. Groove
. Two Left Feet
. En Motion
. Jitterbugs
. BodyTalks
. ADS
. DansFlava
. iWantToDance Forum

. Bachata 106
. The Mambo Show
. 100% Salsa
. Classic Salsa

Singapore celebrates the reefs

. Style My Closet

. The Rose Box